5 of the Best Krill Oil Supplements in the UK
Best Naturals Krill Oil provides omega-3 fatty acids that are a necessary component for improved health. The product features 100% krill oil, and almost 300 mg of DHA and EPA combined, along with another 70 mg of omega-3 fatty acids.
The bottle contains thirty 1000 mg softgel capsules, recommended to be consumed one to three times daily. The capsules are easy to swallow, while the product itself comes with a guarantee of purity and potency. The nutritional benefits target joint flexibility, improve mood, support heart health, and promote healthy blood triglyceride levels.
Overall, Best Naturals Krill Oil does seem like a beneficial supplement. Furthermore, the product is free of GMOs, and offers a 100% satisfaction guarantee. All of the clinically proven ingredients work together to provide you with the standard health benefits of a krill oil product.
- Award-winning supplement
- Contains beneficial amounts of DHA and EPA
- Softgels are easy to swallow
- Company guarantees
- A lack of enteric coating, that reduces issues for people with reflux problems
- Made in a factory that handles allergens like milk and nuts
- Large sized capsules versus others in the market
Another great product in the market is the Superba Krill Oil Extract 500mg. The capsules contain 100% pure krill oil to deliver a wealth of health benefits. The manufacturer uses sustainable resources and ethical practices to source the oil, and it is fully made in the UK, adhering to the GMP code of practice.
These softgel capsules are filled with antioxidants and omega-3 fatty acids, and the recommended dosage is one to two capsules per day, to be taken with water. You get a 100% guarantee, and if you don’t like the supplement, you can return it back for your money.
Overall, the cons associated with Superba Krill Oil are few and far between. The unpleasant taste and odour is something you can solve simply by consuming the product with food. Taking the capsule just before or during meals helps ease stomach upset and masks foul odours, belches, and tastes.
- Product harvested using only endorsed eco-friendly methods
- Product upholds the GMP code of practice within the UK
- Full refund if found unsatisfactory
- Great for chronic conditions like arthritis
- Consumer complaints about unpleasant aftertaste or bad breath
The Omega-3 Krill Oil with Antioxidant manufactured by Livoa Vital uses Antarctic shellfish and claims to have no fishy odour or aftertaste! The manufacturer claims that it is the bestselling krill oil supplement in Germany, and includes the potent antioxidant called astaxanthin, that fights free radicals, and is superior to fatty acids from fish oil or cod liver oil.
Made with 100% krill oil, these 500 mg capsules are small in size, and the recommended dosage is one to three capsules per day with water. Users have reported the supplement excellent for their rheumatoid arthritis and memory, while many have claimed improved health in general. One of the biggest benefits of krill oil continues to be improved brain function, and this supplement doesn’t seem to disappoint.
All in all, the Omega-3 Krill Oil with Antioxidant has an attractive price point for the quality and quantity of capsules. We just wished that it too came with a guarantee like some of the others.
- No smell, no burps
- Small sized capsules
- Verified user results for joint and memory functions
- Additive free
- Free of gluten, sugar, salt, lactose, yeast, and eggs
- No guarantees
Sourced directly from the Antarctic ocean is the Krill Doctor Professional 1200mg High Strength Krill Oil. The antioxidant containing supplement works to improve heart health while also decreasing blood sugar levels.
The triple-pack product offers 30 servings per bottle which are free of heavy metals and pollutants thanks to its fresh source. They contain a large amount of astaxanthin like our previous contender (300 mcg). The antioxidant astaxanthin has also been known to aid in weight loss, which can of course be a great additional benefit for some. And besides your potent dose of omega-3s including DHA and EPA as well as phospholipids, the product does not seem to have any odours or aftertaste. The capsules are easy to swallow too.
Finally, we couldn’t find too many negatives associated with the product. At most, it would seem that some consumers experience little to no results when using the 1200mg High Strength Krill Oil. Of course, supplements will always work differently for everyone. Therefore, it may take some trial and error before you find a product that works the way it should for you.
- Pure Source
- High dose of astaxanthin
- Large serving size
- 5 star reviews
- No guarantees
LLS Superba Krill Oil offers improved support for your heart, joints, and immune system. The 500 mg softgels are manufactured in the UK, in a fully GMP licensed facility. These contain no binders, fillers, and dyes, and the oil itself is sourced from Antarctic fisheries, together with their partners, Aker BioMarine.
The capsules are easy to swallow, odourless, and the serving dosage is two to three softgels daily. Like all the products in our listing, these too are made of 100% pure krill oil and contain high amounts of omega-3s including EPA and DHA, and astaxanthin. This supplement also has a fair amount of naturally occurring choline.
An unpleasant odour was perhaps the largest complaint of consumers, even though the product claims otherwise. Fortunately, this is something you can work around by consuming your supplement during mealtimes.
- Manufacturing by a GMP licensed company
- Softgel capsules are easy to swallow
- Gentle on the stomach and easy to digest
- Sourced from a pure Antarctic source
- An unpleasant odour despite claims of no foul odour
- Unappealing packaging or packaging issues
What are the Benefits of Krill Oil?Krill oil is sourced from small crustaceans. The fact that krill oil contains omega-3 fatty acids is by far the most important benefit. The human body needs fatty acids for several reasons. Considering that omega-3 is most commonly found in fish, algae, and krill, it is no wonder that krill oil is such a recommended supplement to consume. The benefits of omega-3 include:
- Improved heart health: Omega-3 reduces cholesterol, which helps improve the health of your heart. Cholesterol buildup can clog your arteries and increase your risk of stroke or heart attack. You also experience a reduction in heart disease and blood pressure.
- Reduced inflammation: Omega-3 fatty acids provide your body with anti-inflammatory properties. In other words, taking krill oil helps you reduce the pain and discomfort associated with rheumatoid arthritis, gout, and other inflammatory issues.
- Decrease mental ailments: Studies show that fish oil reduces mood swings among people who suffer from bipolar disorder. Although it is not quite clear, there are also suggestions that krill oil with omega-3 may minimise symptoms associated with depression. Omega-3 can also improve your overall mood, thus decreasing the symptoms of anxiety disorders.
How to Choose the Right Krill OilKrill oil supplies over 10 researched benefits, which makes them a highly sought after supplement. However, like any product, krill oil products vary from high quality to low-quality. If you are interested in trying out krill oil supplements, you need to know that you are getting your money’s worth. Fortunately, there are ways to ensure that you are choosing right. One of the most important factors is to pay attention to the omega-3 content. The main reason most individuals take krill oil is because of the benefits provided by omega-3. However, not all krill oil is created equal, meaning some products may contain less than ideal amounts of omega-3s. Try sticking with a product that offers at least 300 mg or more of krill oil. The best krill oil will contain a combination of EPA and DHA, which are the most popular and healthiest forms of omega-3. Whether you shop in a store or online, you can always look at the back of the bottle. The back of the bottle will provide you with the amounts of vitamins and nutrients found in the product. Rather than pay attention to price, always pay attention to the omega-3 content.
What’s the Best Way to Use Krill Oil?Some people say that using any form of oil supplements, including krill oil, can result in foul smelling burps. Consumers often refer to these as “fishy burps”. Although it sounds unpleasant, there is a way to reduce the smell of foul burps. When taking krill oil, try taking it during the earlier part of the day before eating breakfast. Eating a meal after consuming the capsules can minimise smelly burps. You might also try looking for odourless krill oil supplements. Another option is to consume the capsule at night before you go to bed.
Issues Surrounding Krill OilThere are certain controversies around the manufacturing and consumption of krill oil products. For starters, conservationists feel that krill oil products endanger the krill species. Although krill fishing or farming, does reduce krill populations, it is not the biggest threat to the species. In fact, global warming poses the greatest threat in comparison to krill fishing. Krill fishing seems to remain within the boundaries set by the conservation conventions. By remaining well-within their limits, krill fishers are the least dangerous threat to the krill population. Unfortunately, the controversy surrounding krill fishing remains because of the lack of overall research done by consumers, or even the retailers who provide the product.
Prerequisites to Using Krill OilAlthough krill oil products are relatively safe to use, there are some precautions you should know. For instance, there is no recommended dosage for anyone under the age of 18 years old. Therefore, you should ask a doctor before allowing anyone under that age to use the product. Adults should also not consume more than three grams of omega-3 each day. Consuming more than three grams of omega-3 fatty acids may increase your risk of bleeding. There are also a few side effects that may occur, although their likelihood is rare. If you suffer from any of the below, krill oil supplements are not recommended:
- Not recommended for use with bleeding disorders: If you suffer from any bleeding disorder, consume a blood thinner, or bruise easily, krill oil products may not be right for you.
- Not recommended for use with gastrointestinal issues: If you are a person who has problems with gas, such as diarrhea, bloating, belching, or any other gastrointestinal-related issues, you might experience an increase in gasiness when taking krill oil.
- Not recommended for use with prescription medications: You should not use krill oil products if you are currently on prescribed medications without speaking to your doctor, first.
- Not recommended for use with pregnancy or nursing: There is a limit as to how much fish a woman or child should consume. Pregnant women and women who nurse should consume six ounces of fish or less per week. Children should consume under two ounces of fish per week, which is why you should consult a doctor before using krill oil while pregnant or nursing.