Natures Aid Glucosamine Sulphate 1500mg contains 1,500 mg of glucosamine sulphate 2KCl (potassium chloride). It’s completely sodium free, making it a good option for people concerned about high blood pressure. 1,125 mg of glucosamine are bioavailable from each tablet.
The supplement is made in the UK and is produced using good manufacturing practice (GMP), as recognised by the supplement industry. The glucosamine in the supplement does come from crustaceans, so it is not a good pick for people who are vegetarian and might not be a good option for those with shellfish allergies.[G38] [G39]
Although the tablets are coated to help make them easy to swallow, many have noted that the pills are quite large. You might need to cut your pills in half to make them easier to take.
- Make in the UK following GMP standards
- Doesn't contain gluten, yeast or lactose
- Contains 1,500 glucosamine sulphate
- Large tablet size makes it difficult for some people to take them
- Not suitable for vegetarians or people with allergy to crustaceans
Valupak Supplements Joint Care Glucosamine & Chondroitin Tablets 400/100mg contain a combination of glucosamine and chondroitin for joint health. The glucosamine found in the tablets is glucosamine sulphate 2KCl, so there is no sodium in the pills.
Each pill contains 400 mg of glucosamine sulphate and 100 mg of chondroitin. It’s recommended that you take up to three pills a day for the most benefit. The glucosamine in the pills comes from shellfish, so might not be safe to take if you have allergies. It’s also not suitable for vegetarians.
- Pills are sodium free, so are suitable for people with high blood pressure or those on a low sodium diet
- Supplement contains a mix of glucosamine and chondroitin, which might have more benefit for osteoarthritis than glucosamine alone
- Made in the UK following GMP
- Dosing offers more options for people. Pills can be taken throughout the day or several all at once to provide the adequate amount of glucosamine
- Derived from shellfish
- Tablets are large and difficult to swallow
Simply Supplements Glucosamine 1000mg claims to contain more glucosamine per tablet than other brands. The supplements are made from 1000 mg of glucosamine sulphate 2KCl and 75 percent of that is glucosamine, compared to the 50 percent found in most other supplements. The pills are sodium free.
KCl, or potassium chloride, is added to the supplements to help stabilise the glucosamine and help it work more efficiently when taken.
Like other glucosamine sulphate supplements, the active ingredients in Simply Supplements glucosamine is derived from shellfish, making the pills a no-go for vegetarians or for those who need to avoid shellfish. There’s no gelatin in the pills, though.
The pills are on the large side, about 3/4 inch long and they are uncoated. While that doesn’t phase people who have no trouble swallowing pills, it can be a problem for others
- 1,000 mg of glucosamine is the ideal daily amount for people taking the supplements for osteoarthritis
- Contains more actively available glucosamine than other supplement brands
- No sodium, so suitable for people with high blood pressure
- Not a good option for vegetarians or those with allergies thanks to shellfish ingredients
- Uncoated pills can be difficult for some people to swallow
Transforme Glucosamine Sulphate 1500mg offers a lot of glucosamine in a single pill. With 1,500 mg of glucosamine sulphate, you’ll get more than three times the amount found in 400 mg pills and 150 percent more than you’d find in 1,000 mg tablets.
The high dose can be both good and bad. For many people, it’s overkill, as most don’t need more than 1,000 mg of glucosamine at a time. Individuals with osteoarthritis of the knees are better off taking a lower dose multiple times a day than a high dose once a day.
If you have high cholesterol or back pain, taking one 1,500 mg pill of glucosamine a day can be beneficial, according to the Mayo Clinic.
The tablets are designed to be easy to swallow, as they are coated. Although each pill is about 3/4 inch long, they have a dividing line across the centre that makes them easy to break in half
- Easy to swallow design
- Good option for people with back pain or high cholesterol
- Made in the UK following GMP
- No mention of the source for the glucosamine or whether the product is suitable for vegetarians
- High dose means they aren't ideal for everyone
Incite Nutrition Glucosamine Sulphate 1500 mg is another high-dose glucosamine supplement, with 1,500 mg per tablet. The high amount of glucosamine in the tablet might be too much for some people but ideal for others. Remember to discuss your options with your GP before you start taking any supplements.
The pills are made in the UK in a GMP certified facility. The supplements are also free of genetically modified organisms (GMO). Each bottle contains 365 tablets, which is a full year’s supply if you take one a day.
The manufacturer of the supplement is a family-run company. It has a 100 percent guarantee, meaning you’ll get your money back if you aren’t satisfied with the effectiveness of the glucosamine.
- Doesn't contain sodium
- High dose of glucosamine can be appropriate for people with back pain or high cholesterol levels
- Made in the UK, GMO-free
- Large number of tablets in a single bottle
- 100 percent money back guarantee from manufacturer
- Pills are on the large side, and some people have had trouble swallowing them
- 1,500 mg of glucosamine is too much for most people
- Contain shellfish
How to Choose GlucosamineThe human body naturally produces glucosamine. It's found in the fluid around the joints, according to the US National Library of Medicine and it plays a role in the development of cartilage. As you get older, your body naturally produces less and less of it, which can affect the functioning of your joints. Glucosamine isn't just found in the human body. It's also in the shells of crabs, lobster and shrimp. Using a glucosamine supplement made from shellfish is fine if you're not allergic to shellfish and aren't vegetarian. Otherwise, you might want to look for a supplement that is produced in a lab or that is made from plant-based sources. Vegetarian glucosamine tablets are occasionally made from corn, for example. Glucosamine supplements are available in several forms, including powders, tablets and capsules. The different types of supplements might also contain a different kind of glucosamine. The types most commonly available include:
- Glucosamine sulphate
- N-acetyl glucosamine
- Glucosamine hydrochloride
- Glucosamine + Chondroitin
- Glucosamine + Manganese